Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Anti-froofroo

Update: I just created the above variation on a theme for my hubby's bday. Same technique, but I used glossy cardstock this time and like the results better.
I decided today that I needed to make a non-froofroo card. With a manly birthday coming up, and father's day not too far off, it was a good time to try a Man card. If you've never made a Man card, they're notoriously difficult!
I saw a Zindorf card on SCS recently that got my schemer a'schemin'. I went trollin' da WEEB for a nice sunset photo, and found This. It was the basis for my colours.

I started by sponging a bit of Barely Banana in the centre of a 3.75" x 5" piece of Whisper White cardstock.







I added a bit of So Saffron at the top and bottom edge of the banana blob. "Banana Blob": kinda sounds like a fun drink!









Next I sponged some Groovy Guava around the blob. It's not looking so hot right now...





Next colour is Regal Rose. It's still looking pretty "eeyagh!!"






Some Lovely Lilac to fill it in (looks like heck, doesn't it?).





And some Brilliant Blue around the outside...









Some Basic Black across the bottom..






OK. Now here I got carried away playing and forgot to take some photos. (heheh, I just typed "phtoos" there. Sounds like spitting sunflower seeds.)
1: I masked off the bottom 1/3 and sponged the hills in black.
2: I masked off the hills, leaving a small gap between hill and reflection, and sponged matching hill reflections where the water would be.

Then I stamped some silhouetted trees from Lovely as a tree on the left and right sides. Oh, drat. One of my trees is floating in the water!






My final treatment for this layer was to add the Big Spruce tree from Lovely as a Tree 3 times. I also darkened up the black across the bottom, and the blue across the top.






Lastly, I punched ticket corners in the image layer, and matted it with black. I also added black brads in each corner. Both layers are then adhered to a Brilliant Blue card base.


Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

KAREN KANE said...

Corrie, this is stunning! I want to try something like this now!

Wendy Fee - Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator said...

Wow! Your talent leaves us all in the dust.

Awesome job!

robin dudley-howes said...

Hi Corrie
love the card...reminds me of the old stampin' techniques of yor! i am having a stamp club this tues. and I am inspired to try it!
thanks for sharing
robin

Anonymous said...

So stinkin' cool! Great job with all that sponging, the tress foreground and background- and great color combos. Much inspiring!!

Anonymous said...

I came across your "blob" lol from splitcoast because I love the lovely as a tree card you made. I thought it was going to be way to hard but after seeing your tutorial I think its something I can do. Thanks for sharing and thanks for a very beautiful card with instructions! Please I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

wow I love it so much!!So easy now i want to get this set!!!!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Truly stunning. I was searching through Lovely as a Tree gallery when I spotted your masterpiece. And here I am enjoying your blob--LOL. You do good work and I hope you've moved onto calling yourself a blog now ;)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is a gorgeous, gorgeous card!! :-)