Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stamped Tiles

Wow, time really flies when you're non-productive. The only thing I have to show for the last 5 days is a pair of scrapbooking pages that I'm less-than-enamoured with. So I'll spare you the visual torment and let you know what I'm dabbling with now.

In anticipation of a tile stamping class I'm doing on Saturday, I've been playing! There are a lot of conflicting instructions on the web about the exact process for creating stamped tiles: Do you use StazOn ink? Do you heat-set the ink? Do you seal the tile, etc., etc.
After some experimentation using StazOn I can affirm that: StazOn works great. Because it's a solvent-based ink, you don't need to bake it or seal it. As long as you let it sit a few hours to dry (perhaps overkill), you can get the tiles wet and the ink won't bleed. Nice! And very, very fast. Now, if you want to colour your tiles with classic ink, chalk, etc., you'll need to seal them. And if you want to use pigment ink instead of StazOn, you'll need to bake them (and possibly seal them).
There's still room in my class if you want to join us Saturday at 4. Sign up now.
Here are some 4"x4" tumbled marble tile samples, all of which have been subjected to water to see if they'll bleed:
#1 -StazOn only.











#2 - StazOn, baked.











#3 - StazOn, sealed.











#4 - StazOn, baked, sealed (I was a bit heavy-handed with the first coat of sealant, and the baked StazOn bled a bit)










#5 - Stazon, Classic ink, sealed.






Thanks for looking!






No comments: